Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Okinawa Typhoon

Konnichiwa Kazoku!

So today is transfer call day and I still don't know if I will be transferring or not, but I feel like I might leave...mada wakaranai...
Our district really hasn't changed in the past two transfers so it will be sad not matter what. We have all gotten so close! Our awesome zone leader is going home and our district leader. :(

Happy Birthday to McKenna!! I hope you had a wonderful day!! I love you so much! You are so sweet and kind! I wish I could give you a big hug!

These past two transfers have been really fun working with the Elders in our ward. We occasionally run into them while we're out on the street. It always lifts our spirits to see others working with the same goal! One time this week we ran into them and realized we were going to the same place. We said, "Okay, you contact all the men and we will contact all the women!" So as we contacted down the road, they would stop and talk to someone and we would pass them on our bikes and then we would stop and contact someone and they would pass us! It went on like that back and forth for awhile! It was so fun!

This past week Japan celebrated the big holiday called Obon. Its a buddhist holiday but everyone celebrates it. It kind of like Thanksgiving. Families get together and everyone eats a ton. So many people were busy and it was difficult to schedule appointments.

Wednesday we had a TYPHOON!!! YAAAYY!! It was fun, but scary. As we rode our bikes the wind was so strong it would push us! We almost fell over a few times! It really cooled it down which was nice! 

On Friday evening after dinner we went out to do work like we always do, but we felt the strong impression our plans were not right. Not that they were not good things planned, but the Spirit was telling us we needed to change them. We stopped, prayed, and discussed what we should do. We decided to visit a potential investigator that has been too busy to meet with us lately. We went to her house and she said she was busy. We asked if we could just sing her a song. She loved that idea and invited us in to sing and play her piano. My companion played the piano and we sang, "Nearer My God to Thee" in Japanese for her. The spirit was so strong. She cried and said the Lord answered her prayer. God used us in his hands to be an answer to her prayer. We talked with her and showed our love for her. She is Buddhist and not ready to accept the gospel, but when we met with her last time we committed her to pray to Heavenly Father. She said she would pray to God first AND then her ancestors. But she said she knows God heard her prayer. It is so important to listen to the promptings of the spirit and be willing to stop what you're doing to be an answer to someone's prayer.

We are seeing miracles! A few weeks ago I talked about a girl we met who did home stay in Utah with a Mormon family 14 years ago. She now has a little family here in Naha. She came to church! Then we we able to teach her the first lesson and she is so prepared! Her faith is so strong. She know that this is the right path for her and her children. We a set a baptismal date with her and she asked about her children being baptized. We told her that they could be baptized when they turn 8. Her oldest son is 3 years old so she turned to him and said, "5 more years for you!" then she turned to the 2 yr old, "6 for you!" and then to her little baby girl, "and 7 years for you!" I love her! Her name is Akiko! I am grateful to the family in Salt Lake that took her to church every Sunday for a month and took her to temple square and shared the gospel with her. She has lost contact with them and they may not ever know what difference they made, but they truly were instruments in the Lord's hands in bringing one of His choice daughters, in His own timing, into the fold of God. 

Also our investigator is named Luna (its actually spelled Runa, but sounds like Luna and I like that name because its from Harry Potter) She went to EFY (its called SMYC in Japan) AND LOVED IT!! We met with her and set a baptismal date with her. All her friends are Mormon, so we has a great support group! We love LUNA!

This Sunday during sacrament meeting I was pondering my time here in Naha Higashi. I remember my first Sunday, my trainer Black Shimai translated the whole thing because I couldn't understand a word. This Sunday though, I was sitting by a Filipino lady in our ward who doesn't speak Japanese. She is a teacher at an English school here. I sat there and translated the meeting for her. It was NOWHERE near perfect and I didn't understand everything but I gave her the main ideas. I learning little by little each day with the help of the Lord! Thank your for your prayers. I need them; I feel them. 

God hears and answers prayers! He uses faithful people to answer them. Ask to be an answer to someones prayer. Pres Monson said "I can think of no sweeter feeling.... than being a answer to someones prayer."

I love you all! You'll just have to wait to hear about transfers next week!!

Love,
Capener Shimai

P.S. We rode by a Marine base on our bikes and I got a picture! Becca and Tyson, you should come here!! Its beautiful!



No comments:

Post a Comment