Sunday, July 28, 2013

July Block Party

Konnichiwa Kazoku!

This week started off pretty crazy. My trainer had one of her first responsibilities as Sister Training leader and had to go to splits in another zone. That left me and Kuroki Shimai alone! I am technically senior even though she is Japanese. I had to step up to the responsibility and lead! I have so much more respect for my trainer after that day. JAPANESE ADDRESSES ARE IMPOSSIBLE!! Locating addresses on a Japanese map (all in Kanji) and then getting there by bike, riding up and down hills, sweating profusely, and trying to contact people along the way is quite a journey! Leading all the planning was a bit nerve racking because you want to use all your time effectively. We were very effective that day visiting members, contacting, giving out Book of Mormons, and even teaching a lesson! I learned a lot about being a leader as a missionary! Its scary to think I could become a trainer in the next few months because soooo many new sisters are coming in! Just pray that I will learn how to speak the language. That is seriously the hardest thing. BUT I have found that when I just try to talk to members and just ask questions it gets easier. If I dont understand them, they simplify it, and if I dont understand that either they use hand motions as well. haha They are so kind a patient with me. I have to just loose all my pride and just admit that I need help!

Kuroki Shimai has been so helpful in my language study. On a few occasions she has spent nearly her whole time just helping me. She is an incredible missionary. She came into the field running, ready to testify. I just love her so much.

We live in the same apartment as the Naha Sisters, Clingo Shimai and Kwak Shimai (we are Naha East) and they had a baptism this last weekend. Megumi San is her name. She was found two months ago street contacting. She is a single mother with a young daughter.  What a happy day!

We had a ward party this weekend and they asked the missionaries to sing. The zone leaders are in our ward so the ward has 5 missionaries now! The elders did a musical number with the guitar, then we, the sisters, sang, then I SANG A SOLO!! I sang a beautiful version of Love at Home and my comp Black Shimai played the beautiful accompaniment. I just went for it and belted the song. It was so fun! Then we all sang together Come Thou Fount. We started all singing in English and then there came a time where we sang acapella. We then started singing in Japanese. The spirit was soooo strong. There is something special about hearing your native language. I have come to appreciate that while serving here. 

D&C 90:11 "For it shall come to pass that in that day, that every man shall hear the fulness of the gospel in his own language, through those who are ordained unto this power, by the administration of the Comforter, shed forth upon them for the revelation of Jesus Christ." 

I am grateful to be serving here on the beautiful island of Okinawa. A piece of my heart will forever be here. The Lord has opened my heart and filled it with love for these people. Some days can be difficult and exhausting but I want to share something I say in my morning prayers:

"I dedicate this day unto thee. I will do all that I can to serve thee today. I will do everything I can tomorrow too...but...I'll think about that tomorrow."

Take one day at a time, this time is a precious gift from our Father in Heaven. I love you all and feel of your love and prayers. Pray for Okinawa. 

Love,

Capener Shimai
ケイプナー姉妹

No comments:

Post a Comment