Monday, September 30, 2013

Nauvoo Memories and my Fireside

Konnichiwa Kazoku

Instead of a long email today I sent a million pictures home!

This week we had splits with the sister training leaders which was really fun! I was paired with Takabori Shimai who is a seriously awesome missionary! One short experience I want to share. We planned to visit an investigator but when we went to her house she wasnt there. So we decided to street for a little then come back and try again before our next appointment. We were not sure where to go so we decided to say a prayer. After the prayer we headed in a certain direction. We connacted a few people and didnt have much luck. Then we spotted two ladies taking a smoke break in a building parking lot. We decided to talk to them. The talked to them and they were very interested in church and baptism. We got their numbers! Then we decided to head back to our investigators! Right before we got there we found her and her children walking away from there appointment we stopped them and share a quick message and set up another appointment. I know the Lord guided us to those two women and then gave us a tender mercy by showing us back to our investigator just in time!!

YUHO CHAN ACCEPTED BAPTISM!!! I should have said that sooner!!! I wasnt there at the meeting because we were on splits but she really wants to be baptized! We set a date that is very soon because she is just so excited. We made is clear that we had to keep meeting almost everyday before her baptism. She is doing well accepting commitments and the commandments. We were nervous to teach Word of Wisdom, but she is so faithful! Despite her love for tea, she has committed to living the word of wisdom. She is 21 and she loves to learn!! I LOVE YUHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I gave a talk/presentation on Nauvoo in NAHA!!! I got to go back to my old area to my old ward that I love so much a tell them about my experience in Nauvoo. I started off by saying that you can learn a lot about the history of Nauvoo through books and the internet, but I want to share my experience, or my story of Modern day Nauvoo. I focused my talk on the temple. I talked about how I remember being in the Nauvoo ward building when President Hinckley announced the rebuilding of the Nauvoo temple. People gasped and stood and hugged one another. I started to cry as I told these people of Okinawa, that someday a prophet of God will announce a temple in Okinawa. I told them that no matter where I am, I will be with them standing, hugging my loved ones, and crying tears of joy. I also told them about the dedication of the temple. I got to sit on the third row in the assembly hall as a 10 year old girl. As we sang The Spirit of God I felt the presence and the voices of those pioneers beyond the veil who sacrificed so much for that temple. Then I testified that everyone there was a pioneer. Most of Japanese members are 1st or 2nd generation members. I ended with my testimony of the prophet Joseph Smith. I think when I was young I didnt realize what a blessing it was to live in Nauvoo. I read D&C 135:3

"Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. In the short space of twenty years, he has brought forth the Book of Mormon, which he translated by the gift and power of God, and has been the means of publishing it on two continents; has sent the fulness of the everlasting gospel, which it contained, to the four quarters of the earth; has brought forth the revelations and commandments which compose this book of Doctrine and Covenants, and many other wise documents and instructions for the benefit of the children of men; gathered many thousands of the Latter-day Saints, founded a great city, and left a fame and name that cannot be slain. He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord’s anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood; and so has his brother Hyrum. In life they were not divided, and in death they were not separated!"

I had the opportunity to walk where Joseph walked. I am grateful for his selfless sacrifice. I know he was a prophet of God. 

I gotta go! I love you all! The church is true! I LOVE OKINAWA!!!!

Love,
Nauvoo Fireside
Capener Shimai


No comments:

Post a Comment